DV Home Cooking is a series devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook: Virginia Vaccaro, Mahopac
Story Behind Recipe: "This was one of my favorite dishes growing up and continues to be. My mom would make this on Fridays for dinner as we were Catholic and not allowed to eat meat. It's simple, quick and inexpensive, but most of all it's delicious and nutritious!"
Recipe: Torri Tuna Fish Macaroni
- Olive oil
- 1\2 onion chopped small
- 5 cloves garlic sliced paper thin
- 1 can good tuna in oil
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- Fresh basil julienned (small handful)
- 1\4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 hot pepper chopped or flakes (to taste)
- 1\2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, sauté garlic until just slightly golden.
- Add onion and cook for another two to three minutes.
- Add tuna including oil and stir.
- Add red wine and cook for three minutes.
- Add whole tomatoes, squeezing and breaking up with hands. (If using fresh tomatoes, chop first, saving and using juices too.)
- Add hot pepper, salt and pepper.
- Add half of the julienned basil and all of oregano.
- Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve over linguine or spaghetti and top with remaining fresh basil.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.