Firefighters were able to quickly douse a kitchen fire at Continental Village in Garrison on Wednesday that started in a microwave and moved to the kitchen cabinets.
Continental Village Fire Department firefighters responded to the fire at 389 Sprout Brook Road around 10 a.m. and found a small fire in the kitchen that had started in the microwave and spread to the cabinets above and next to it, the department reported.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and opened up the area around it to make sure fire didn't move into the walls and ceiling. Most of the fire was put out by a Putnam County medic with a fire extinguisher who happened to be driving by the house when the call was dispatched, the department said.
The department was on scene for about two hours and was assisted by the Putnam County Fire Investigation Team and firefighters from Putnam Valley and Buchanan fire departments.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.