CARMEL, N.Y. -- A fire that destroyed a Kent home in the Lake Carmel section of town was caused by a failing chimney hooked to a pellet stove, said Lake Carmel Fire Chief Jack Keher.
The fire, which started around 11:20 p.m., at 16 Westleigh Road, took firefighters several hours to completely knock down, said Keher.
The couple who own the home were able to escape unharmed after smoke alarms went off, he added.
Because of the home's long driveway, and a lack of hydrants in the area, water had to be trucked into from the nearby Shop-Rite shopping center, Keher said.
"The roof of the home collapsed on the inside, destroying the home," he added.
Lake Carmel was assisted by firefighters from Carmel, Mahopac, Kent, Brewster and Patterson.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.