MAHOPAC, N.Y. -- A chimney fire at a Mahopac home was doused quickly around 7 p.m. Monday by members of the Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Department.
The department received the call from the homeowner on Agor Lane alerting firefighters that either the house or chimney were on fire, said Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Department spokeman Jack Casey.
Arriving firefighters were greeted with fire and heavy smoke emanating from the back of the residence. The homeowner had the garden hose out after he called 911 and was assisted by firefighters keeping flames at bay until the fire trucks arrived, Casey said.
After it was determined the chimney firebox enclosure was on fire, a call was put in for a tanker from Mahopac to respond and was quickly on the road, Casey added.
In order to help battle the fire that was sending flames into the night sky, firefighters stretched hose lines up the driveway as Mahopac Falls heavy rescue put up the towers to shed some light on the situation.
Chief Jeff Boyle, the incident commander, was assisted by Battalion 6 Ted Pollack and Mahopac Asst. Chief Jay Kinash.
To help, fire and police officers closed down one lane of traffic so firefighters had a safe scene to work in.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.