UPDATED: DANBURY, Conn. — A man who fell from the roof of a Danbury social club landed on a barbecue grill rotisserie stand and became impaled on a large piece of metal Tuesday morning, Danbury firefighters said.
The man was in serious condition and undergoing surgery at Danbury Hospital to remove the piece of metal, a firefighter saidl
At about 9:30 a.m., Danbury firefighters and EMS units were dispatched to the Casa Do Benfica Soccer and Social Club at 28 Federal Road. The man, who is about 30 years old, fell about 8 to 10 feet from the roof and landed on the metal stand, said James Gagliardo, public information officer for the Danbury Fire Department.
The Danbury Fire Department, along with EMS personnel from the Western Connecticut Health Network, used a metal cutting saw to remove the metal object from the stand and secure it to the man so he could be transported to Danbury Hospital, Gagliardo said.
The man, who was not identified, was in serious condition and was being moved to surgery to remove the object, Gagliardo said.
The Danbury Fire Department was on the scene with officials from OSHA, he said.
Tino Rodrigues, the club’s president, said the man was a board member at the club and was inspecting an exhaust fan on the roof that wasn’t working properly when he fell, according to the News-Times.
About a foot of the metal beam was lodged in the side of the man's chest, the News-Times said.
Click here for the story at the News-Times.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.