MAHOPAC, N.Y. -- An overnight oil burner explosion sent both stations of the Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Department to a residence at Shore Lane in Lake Baldwin, according to Jack Casey, public information officer for the department.
With two pumper/tankers and a heavy rescue on the road, first arriving units at about 3 a.m. Sunday found the house evacuated and residents saying that the oil burner had exploded, Casey said.
Firefighters and Carmel Police entered the residence to make sure the house was clear and had the owner remove a dog from the house. No fire was found but with a strong odor of heating oil through the house, responders were directed to the basement, where oil was covering the basement floor, Casey said.
Chief Jeff Boyle assumed Incident command, with second assistant chief Bob Trace in charge of operations. A call was put in for Town of Carmel building inspector, Mike Carnazza to respond to the scene. Plans to remove the oil and do cleanup are underway.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.