State Thruway officials have restricted travel on major roadways throughout the area during the nor'easter.
The authority put out an advisory Wednesday asking motorists to avoid travel unless absolutely necessary and have banned travel by all commercial vehicles including tractor-trailers, high-profile truck, and buses on all major highways.
The roadways closed or with a commercial vehicle ban include:
- I-84 from the Connecticut State Line to the Pennsylvania State Line
- I-684 from I-84 to I-287
- New York State Thruway from Exit 36 (Syracuse) to the New York City line, including the Berkshire Spur to the Massachusetts State Line, I-95, Garden State Parkway Connector and I-287
- I-88 from Binghamton to Albany
- I-81 from Pennsylvania line to the New York State Thruway
- Route 17 Binghamton to I-84
State Police said they will strictly enforce the ban and will stop and ticket anyone who is in violation.
Motorists who have to travel are reminded to check 511NY by calling 511 or by accessing www.511ny.org . The free service allows users to check road conditions and transit information.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.