PUTNAM VALLEY, N.Y. -- Putnam Daily Voice accepts signed and original letters to the editor up to 350 words. To submit your letter, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To the Editor:
The latest disinformation by the library is a sign outside of it saying, “Save Our Library.”
This alleges that someone or something is trying to close the library. That simply is not true.
There are some of us who simply believe that:
- The library has enough reserves. When will they start spending their reserve money to repair the bridges?
- The elected Town Board should oversee the library budget as part of their fiduciary responsibility for the total taxable budget on behalf of all the taxpayers.
- The library must stop discriminating against religious and other organizations and become more “user-friendly.”
- It is unconscionable to saddle the taxpayers with a 414 where the library tax will NEVER GO DOWN even after the bridges are repaired.
- The library has not shown "good faith" by putting off an elected library board.
- The library must stop characterizing volunteers as "unreliable" who are not wanted or needed!
- The 414 is a declared "war" against the taxpayers.
- There are a number of well-meaning people involved with the library, but their thinking is misguided as witnessed by not repairing the bridges and overreacting to calls for accountability by the Town Board.
I believe for the aforementioned reasons we should reject the proposition to adopt the 414 tax plan.
Anthony J. Bondi Jr.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.